Stats & Figures
“It’s very refreshing when different community programs can come together for a purpose and a cause and work together to accomplish a certain goal.”Matthew Louanglath, Training Director at the Electrical Training Academy in Scioto County, Ohio
Schools Assessing in Upcoming School Year
Students take the Future Plans Career assessment which identifies their strengths, interests, personality, and work values, and then explore careers that are a fit for them. Each student meets one-on-one with a career coach to discuss their results and potential career paths, with the end goal of developing a career plan. Below is a list of schools in each county which are planning assessments for the 2023-24 school year.
|Lawrence||Chesapeake Union Exempted Village|
|South Point Local|
|Symmes Valley Local|
|New Boston Local (Glenwood HS)|
|Portsmouth STEM Academy|
- GRIT staff continue to partner with Judge Finley and the Lawrence County Court System to assist with re-entry.
- Land of Goshen is assessing staff and residents and has begun professional development planning for their staff as well.
- South Point, Fairland, Symmes Valley, and Chesapeake will begin assessments soon for the 2023-2024 school year.
- 11 students from Scioto schools attended the summer program, Bear Tracks, at Shawnee State University. Some of the students are now enrolled in colleges and will be using their credential to get part-time work in addition to attending classes.
- Recent meeting with the Scioto ESC and Scioto School Superintendents to discuss the GRIT Project and plan for the upcoming school year.
- Kyle Gillespie, a graduate of Lucasville Valley High School, attended Bear Tracks in 2022 and obtained a certification in cybersecurity. He went on to be hired as an intern at the Scioto ESC as a Network Technician and is currently working at CLA in Jackson under a contracted position with the ESC.
- The Counseling Center in Scioto County has started a pilot program for their clients, which is being facilitated by GRIT.
- STAR Community Justice Center and GRIT are running a program to utilize career assessments and coaching.
- GRIT is partnering with Scioto OMJ to offer assessments to additional residents.
Student OpportunitiesNow is the time to contact us to get your students assessed and to collaborate with GRIT to place your students into paid internships!
All County Updates
(Click images or county lists below to see each newsletter)
Business and Education Leaders to Come Together October 12 for Fifth Annual Aim Hire Workforce and Education Conference in Columbus
Business, education, political and community leaders from across Ohio will come together again this year for a statewide workforce and education summit to strengthen collaboration that will better prepare students for success.
The fifth annual Aim Hire Workforce and Education Conference, sponsored by Ohio Excels and the Governor’s Office of Workforce Transformation, will be held on October 12 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Hilton Columbus Downtown. Each year, the event attracts more than 500 leaders in an effort to help connect the dots to improving student success across our state.